Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Art of Changing Minds

     The first time I read Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepard, I was a few years younger. I didn't really go through everything as closely as I did this time. Over while re-redaing the first book of the series, I realized that Alison wasn't just a mean person- but she represented more than that. She's everything terrible about humanity. She's jealous, cruel, selfish, self-centered, a dictator- and most of all- manipulative.

     Throughout the series, Ali has been shown as someone who make you feel like you're nothing, but also makes you feel like you're on top of the world. But she does it in such a way that you think it's okay because she's just Ali- "the most fabulous girl ever."Ali has been described in such a way that it seems like she has power, like no one can defy her. Her attitude is that everyone is below her and everyone listening to her and always doing what she says doesn't help that.

    The "games" Ali played with them is what this is. She would make them feel like princesses, but then kick them to the dirt by making remarks about how they're fat, or freakish, or nerdy. She made them feel uncomfortable in their own skin and with who they were- so to them, she seemed like who they should be. Who she is and what she does was perfect. That's how she manipulated them. By making them praise her, she had absolute power over them. 

     Ali also became their protection form who they were. Nobody messed with them because they were friends with Ali, so it made them feel like she still is their friend.

     While looking at my notes from "Eye to Eye: Ishmael Beah," I was reminded of this. Ishmael say that his commanders began to look like the brothers he'd lost. Thsi is a similar situation because even though commanders are doing something wrong, they still make you feel like they're your safety blanket. Your family was a big part of your life, and you would trust them. The commanders sort of manipulate you into trusting them, like Ali.

     This also reminds me of a situation I was in in fourth grade. I had a few friends who I would have a lot of fun with. I trusted them, but they still made me feel bad about myself. They would be really nice, but then make small remarks. They made me feel like I was still their best friend, but then they would act like they hated me. One day they told me "You need to learn how to laugh at yourself." I did learn how to laugh at myself and how to laugh along with everyone when I did something funny accidentally, but looking back I noticed that it was just me. I was the only one who they did that to. If they meant it so lightheartedly, then why should the channel it all to me? All of those little comments were directed at me, not to all of us. It wasn't fair that they still acted like they were my friends, but they still made those remarks.

     It's not fair for people to make others think that bad treatment is okay. Everyone deserves the best, and no one deserves to be treated like they're dolls. Even though someone may seem like they're there for you, they can also be the worst thing for you.

If you have any responses, COMMENT PLEASE

1 comment:

  1. Hi sarah!
    i LOVE this post! i have never read the series of PLL but i watch the Tv series. i think that people like Ali are mean and stuff, but i also think that you need to look at them on the inside. Ali picks on the girls to make herself look flawless. she is hiding something about herself every time she is rude.
    i think that people like Ali need to chill down and realize that no one can be prefect, and making other people feel like crap won't make people like her/ him.
    i think that everyone deserves the chance to be themselves and realize the bullies are only insicure about themselves.
    great post! :)
    mary

    ReplyDelete