SPOILER ALERT
I am currently reading the book My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. This book follows the story of Anna, who is suing her parents for rights to her body. All her life, Anna has been the source for what Kate, her older sister with leukemia, needs, like bone marrow, and now, a kidney. Anna is refusing to donate her kidney, which will lead to Kate's death. I was confused by Anna's action. Even if she doesn't want her kidney to be removed, why would she sentence her sister to death? I think that refusing to donate her kidney is more of an act of revenge towards her parents than anything against Kate. She wants her parents to realize that she's not just extra parts for Kate.
Anna is only noticed when her parents need her, and Anna sees this. For example, Anna said, "...if your parents have you for a reason, then that reason better exist. Because once it's gone, so are you."Anna is referring to Kate as the reason, showing that Anna is only there to supplement Kate. Her only point of existence was to be Kate's donor. Anna sees that she wasn't wanted as a child, but as a body. She doesn't want that anymore. She wants her parents to recognize her as a person.
But how far will she take it? Even though she's fighting for her rights against her parents, would she actually let her sister die? Her problem isn't between her and Kate, it's between her and her parents. Kate didn't do anything to her. She didn't have a say in how she's treated. Her parents do. But why would Anna let Kate suffer for her parents' faults?
I think that Anna should have her own rights. I agree with her about suing her parents, but it's not really the problem. Her problem isn't with Kate, so why should she take an action that affects Kate? Why would she let her sister die so she could fight with her parents.
I definitely would be angry with my parents if this happened to me. I would be as angry as Anna, but the difference between her and me is that I wouldn't act on it. I don't think I could take letting a sibling die and having it be my fault. I wouldn't be able to handle it. I wouldn't want my kidney to be removed, and I would probably be scared to death, but I think I would be more scared of the consequences of not doing it.
What would you do? What do you think of Anna's choices? COMMENT
I think that Anna has every right to be angry. And can't Kate just get another donor? There are tons of other people who donate kidneys, which Kate can gladly use one of. I agree with you about the emotional complications of it, but if Anna was willing to go to a lawyer, then I think she wants it enough to not care so much about the consequences.
ReplyDeleteAs always, lovely job! Keep it up!
I agree with Amanda. Even if there were no other kidney donors, Anna should have her own rights-it should be her own choice whether she gives up her organs. Even though it is not logical, while I would be furious at my parents, i would be mad at Kate. Even though it may not be her fault, she is the reason Anna is going through this. Anna might feel that if Kate had not been born, or contracted her cancer, she would not even be in this mess. While Kate obviously had no control over that, Anna has gone through so much, she probably was just looking for anyone to blame.
ReplyDelete