For Lyrics, Click Here
To listen to this song (which I recommend because it's amazing), click here
One of my favorite songs ever is "I'll Hold My Breath" preformed by Ellie Goulding (I couldn't find the composer). I've loved Ellie Goulding music for years, and this song is definitely my favorite because of its beautiful lyrics. In the song, a person is describe that she clearly loves and admires. She describes this character as magnificent in many ways, but also sometimes flawed. All through the song though, it is clear that she loves him despite all of his quirks and flaws. I think that a message of this song is that you should be able to take risks for love, even if the person you love isn't perfect.
In the first verse, it is said that this person "always plays the wrong card." This shows that this person can be unlucky. This person is real, like the rest of us, not the perfect man that is often portrayed in songs. This man has quirks. He has faults just like the rest of us.
Some lyrics that I found interesting were "Fight fires in your best clothes/Touch skin with your eyes closed/Chase thunder with the volume down." I think these show how magnificent this man is even if he's not perfect. He's still able to do these things naturally even if he can't do some things as well. He knows exactly how to do things even if he's held back. I also think that it also show that this man is confident. I got this from the line "Fight fires in your best clothes." This is because he's confident that he can "win" against the fire without even being in danger.
One of the most powerful lines in the whole song is "You are the risk I'll always take/The only branch I'll never break." This shows that despite knowing all about her love's flaws, she'll always be willing to love him. He'll always the something that will never be ruined for her. Her love for him is something that will never break. This line also shows how loving someone could be a risk, but you should be willing to take it if you really love a person.
I think this is one of the most beautiful messages I have found in a song. Everyone has faults. Ellie Goulding clearly sees these, but she can look past them since she sees perfection in him. You'd think that you would only take risks for the person who is perfect in every way, but those people don' exist. People shouldn't look for a perfect person, just a person that they find good in. Ellie is able to look past these things because of all the wonderful qualities she sees. She lets herself to take that risk and do anything for her love. We should all be able to see past the quirks and flaws in people and take risks for someone who may not be perfect. Perfection in love is the perfection that you find in a love.
Hey Sarah! Great post!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you on how it is about how you should risk loving someone if they are worth it and that no one's perfect. I love how you elaborated a lot and really explained what everything meant, and I love this song. I think that you should take the risk, and if you feel that it won't be worth it later, you leave. Amazing post! :)
Great post! I like your views. I agree that risking love for someone that is worth it is, in fact, worth it. Nobody's 100% perfect, but if they're perfect to you, you should go for it!
ReplyDeleteAlso, great writing as always. You elaborate really well and use very descriptive language! Again, great post :)
hey! okay so this is my favorite ellie goulding song AND EVERYONE NEEDS TO LISTEN TO IT. (and i'm listening to it right now) but you're so right. i love your point how so many songs try and portray a perfect person. even if they go along with the message, that you're perfect even though you're not, they still describe them as perfect. my favorite thing about this song is she talks about his imperfections. she shows him all the imperfections that he has, and that's what she loves, not the great things. i think this is sucha sweet song because it really shows that you don't have to try and be perfect for the person you liek or whatver, but instead let your imperfections shine, and if they can't see them, then screw that and they're not worth it!!!
ReplyDeletelove thisss!!!!