In class, we are currently reading William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. While reading this book, I noticed a few interesting decisions made by Friar Laurence. He sometimes did contradictory things, like helping someone and then giving them and advice. I think that he can be selfish, but at the same time caring.
One reason I found the Friar interesting was because he seems to care about Romeo, but at the same time, he's willing to risk him. For example, he cares about Romeo by giving him advice on his love. He says "Wisely, and slow; they stumble who run fast." This shows that he obviously doesn't want Romeo to get hurt. He wants good for Romeo. The confusing part is that Friar Laurence, although caring for Romeo, he also is selfish towards him. For example, he knows, as hinted at in the other line, that Romeo and Juliet's relationship might not end well. He then says that "In one resect I'll your assistant be, for this alliance may so happy prove to turn your household's rancor to pure love." This shows how he's willing to sacrifice Romeo, which he originally didn't want to get hurt, for some peace in Verona. He knows what the consequences and cares about Romeo, so why would he be so willing to give him up?
Another reason that I found this character interesting is that he's wise. He approches things from another perspective rather than just going along with whatever happens. He questions others' decisions. For example, when Romeo is happy telling him that he's going to marry Juliet, He doesn't just agree and be happy for Romeo. For example, he says "...Is Rosaline, that thou didst love so dear, so soon forgotten?" Even though Romeo gives the whole conversation a lighthearted feel, he brings it down to Earth with the reality of a situation.
A person might argue that questioning others' decisions is a flaw. I would agree sometimes, but other times you just have to think about what people are doing. You might trust them and respect their decisions, but don't just go along and let people you care about make a bad choice. Of course, there are many exceptions. Sometimes you need to be happy for others. But the fine line, in my opinion, is whether you're questioning you'll be happy with it or if they will. Friar Laurence seems like he wants what's best for Romeo when he questions his decisions.
What do you think the "fine line" is? COMMENT!!
Sarah, this post is really good. I do agree that the Friar seems to be caring and selfish at the same time. He is willing to sacrifice Romeo for the better good, which makes me think that he wants Verona to be in peace and he would take in an opportunity when he sees one. Oh, anyways great post!
ReplyDeleteAmazing post! Friar Lawrence is a really interesting character. He has many different sides. I agree with you about how he is sometimes selfish, or doesn't take Romeo's own good into consideration, and sometimes he is very helpful. I think that he just wants what is best for the town, and sometimes he is kind enough to try and help Romeo.
ReplyDeleteAwesome Sarah! I like how you chose to write about a character that didn't not have a big role in the play and really unpacked his personality!! I did the same thing. I find friar Lawrence interesting the more I see the depth of him. Overall, I think Friar Lawrence is just looking out for Romeo. I think he just wants the best for him which is why his attitude sometimes changes. Great post Sarah! - Molly
ReplyDelete