Thursday, March 7, 2013

No Perfect Love

      In class, we are reading Romeo and Juliet, a play by William Shakespeare. In the play, Romeo is a Montague and Juliet is a Capulet. Their families have fought for as long as they remember. When the two meet, they fall in love unexpectedly before finding out that they're enemies. I think that a theme in this play so far is love is always broken in one way or another.

      One example of this theme is the ending overall. The prologue says that "A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life." This shows that a love that seems perfect ends badly. If a love seems wonderful, there is no way it can be totally flawless. Another example is how Romeo describes love. He describes it as a "feather of lead." I think this means that love is far from perfect. It seems light and carefree, but it really is a weight on your shoulders. What seems happy can be burdening. Another way he describes love is a "cold fire." I infer that he means that love is an unexpressed anger. It may seem and look warm, but it provides no comfort, yet it  is dangerous.

      Another example of this theme is that Rosaline didn't love Romeo back. He treasured her, but perfect loves aren't existent. An adoring lover can't get what they want. If he were given the chance, Romeo would've appreciated her, but love is one sided for him. He can never have love be good to him unless there are consequences.

      I personally do not believe this. I think that there can be a great love, especially considering what love is. I think that love can be happy and wonderful without having to end terribly. I think that love wouldn't be a burden since love means you're not being judged. I think don't agree with Romeo's perspective on love either. I think that he changed his view just because Rosaline didn't love him. His bad experiences made love seem like a problem, like you should avoid it. He makes love sound evil. I don't think it is, even though it was evil to him.

DO YOU AGREE? PLEASE COMMENT!!!

1 comment:

  1. I think that Romeo isn't thinking love evil, but more of "inconsiderate" or "uncooperative". I think that love can be as light as a feather or heavier than a block of lead. It depends on the situation I guess. If one loved someone, but had to pay large consequences, than it is indeed a burden but if they truly were in love, the burden would be chosen to be carried. In a way, love has never been, and never will be, truly kind to Romeo. Not only does love reject him and hurt those he cares about, it ends up killing him so in a way, love could be evil or beautiful. Anyway, I enjoyed reading your post, great job!

    ReplyDelete