Monday, January 14, 2013

Make Your Mistakes, Slip Up Sometimes

Bearak, Barry. "Too Fast, Too Soon? Young Endurance Runners Draw Cheers and Concerns." New York Times 3 November 2012. Sports. 3 November 2012 and 14 January 2013 <http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/sports/too-fast-too-soon-young-endurance-runners-draw-cheers-and-concerns.html?pagewanted=all>.

     I read Too Fast, Too Soon? Young Endurance Runners Draw Cheers and Concerns by Barry Bearak. Kaytlynn and Heather Welscshe are always underestimated based on their age by bystanders at major races they run. The girls are actually powerful runners, but are pushed hard by their father despite comments against their parenting style. The Welscheswant the best for their kids- they make sure they are healthy and keep them focused on running by limiting their media sources. There are some medical downsides- like stunting the girls' growth, weakening their bones, and even delaying the onset of puberty. Rodney, their father, is both supportive and pressuring. Though being super reunners, the girls still make mistakes and are still growing up. The girls are almost pressured into running, even with tough conditions like a bad toe and stitch-worthy cuts. Though the girls do amazing, their father isn't happy with any bad times. Kaytlynn tries to show her dad what she can do to make him proud.

      When I first started reading this, I was impressed. These girls are 10 and twelve and could do better than adults who have trained for decades. But then I was remanded that with every pageant kid (or in this case, an amazing running kid), there is an obsessive, never-satisfied pageant parent (running parent). My suspicions were confirmed when Kaytlynn and Heather's father said:

"'She’s not hurt. It’s not a knee or an ankle. She just has pain, and she’ll deal with pain.'”

      I think that this shows that he's obviously not stopping Kaytlynn from running for anything. But the most shocking thing was he said after Kaytlynn finished:


"'You quit on us today.'"


     This line really stood out for me it made me think, Why shouldn't you be happy with her being amazing? Shouldn't parents be proud of their children? I realize that her time was far over what she usually does, but not all people can be perfect every single minute of every single day. Sometimes we slip up, and that's okay. This statement made extremely angry and also sad for Kaytlynn. She shouldn't have this spotlight on her, having to do everything right 24/7. I understand that this might push her to run better, and that she loves to run, but pushing your kid to be perfect isn't going to help someone in life overall. People slip up. If kids go into adulthood thinking that they have to get everything right all the time, then they're going to be extremely disappointed if they do slip up. Another angering thought is that this father isn't letting these kids learn from their mistakes. These kids aren't even allowed to make any. 


     Overall, I think that kids should be able to learn from their slip ups. Teaching kids to never make mistakes, in my opinion, isn't the right way to go. Children shouldn't be such dramatically criticized for one mistake (which in Kaytlynn's defense was an injury! You can't help that!). Rodney shouldn't have told his child that "she gave up on them." She went out there and tried her best, and I think that it's what she could do under the circumstances. She fought through her toe injury, falling AND having a serious cut, so is that not good enough? She deserves a little slack for fighting though all those things. Rodney claimed that she didn't try her best, but I think it's hard enough to fight through that. I think that even though pressure pushes these girls, it's not necessarily good for them. Kids need to try their best and not have to deal with people telling them that trying their best and slipping up isn't good enough.

7 comments:

  1. Great post Sarah! I agree with you about how you need to be able to get a break and everyone makes mistakes. It was horrible how their father pressured them. you need to be able to take breaks or get a little leeway at times. it is not healthy otherwise. you need to be able to explore different things and make mistakes because otherwise, you don't learn how to get back up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! I totally agreed with you when you said that he was pushing Kaytlynn too hard. If he pushes her too hard when she's young, she won't be able to run later on in life. If he eased up on her then she'll be able to run for a longer time. And both of them should be able to do what they want to do. Maybe they like to run, but not all day, every day. Good Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah! Your post was amazing. I agree that kids need to just try their best and not have to deal with people telling them. I mean it's peer pressure from the parents and that's not good. They should be supportive of their children and not be all showy parents. Nobody should be pressured or let down because of their slip-ups. They'll learn and be better than they were before. Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey sarah! i totally agree with you and this post. i think a lot of times parents only think about their opinion and don't realize that it's the child's opinion that counts as well. obviously, we are teenagers, we are bossy and sassy and rude, yes that is all true. but at the end of the day we still do have reasonable thoughts. i think what her father did/ acted like made him totally out of line and that all parents need to realize we can't be the perfect child they always dreamed of having.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! I totally agree with you Sarah! I think that a lot of the times, parents get caught up in what they see their kids as in the future and they try to push their kids to do as much as they can as well as they can that they don't even stop to think how the child might feel! I also think that you can only learn if you make mistakes. You will never be perfect and you will have to make a mistake someday, so why not just live your life? Make mistakes! I definitely think that having confidence is an important part of growing up and your parents should never stand in the way of you having confidence. If anything they should be boosting it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing response!! I totally agree with you and think that too many parents have already planned out their childs future for them but don't realize that they're actually hurting their child wanting them to be all perfect and all. Part of growing up is learning from your mistakes and the worst thing parents can do is stand ifront of your mistakes. Unfortunately I have come across some parents like Kaytlnn's dad and it's hard to watch them lowering their childs self confidence--like Molly mentioned. It makes me so angry because most normal parents want the best for their child/children except by not letting them make their own mistakes and lowering their self confidence, they are actually hurting their children more than anything else.
    Amazing post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow sarah! i love your article! your post is really nice and is structured very well good job

    ReplyDelete