Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Startling, Strong, Confident

     I recently finished the book Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas. In the book, Anke's brother and sister are abused, but she is the only child who is not. She keeps to herself, but is always silently wondering why it is so hard for her family to speak out about it. While reading the story, one verse stood out to me.
     "After an hour of silence
in the library
studying
fake oak grain on cubicle walls,

I love the way my voice sounds
startling
strong
confident
as I give a woman in teetering heels
directions
to the school office."

     At first, I was confused why the author out this verse in, but I realized that this could show how after living so long without saying anything about their father, her family could come out strong.

     The "hour of silence" could represent how her family kept to themselves for so long. They never mentioned it to anyone and no one ever thought of getting out of it. There was no real question to whether they were to tell anyone. They just obeyed. This family was stuck in a cycle of secrecy, and they never hinted that there was anything wrong.

     I think that how Anke's voice sounded, "startling, strong, confident," shows how coming forward about this abuse may seem startling after no one ever questioning it, but when you do say it, you're sure of yourself and you know that what you're saying must be said. You're confident that what is happening is wrong and her father must be stood up to.

     Giving the woman a route to the office foreshadows how the Anke directs her family's path to being free from their father by standing up to him. By doing this, Anke knows it will change what path their family will take, with or without the father. I also think that the woman represents the family because of her "teetering heels." I think this symbolizes how fragile her family is. They're slipping, and they need to be carefully walked on or else it will fall apart.

     I think that this verse can be relevant in life in situations over than abusive families. Speaking the truth or admitting something can seem so out of reach, but you can still be confident in what you're saying and what you do. This could apply to a friend that treats you badly or a person who make fun of you. You just live with it for so long, but you know you have to a stand up for yourself or even others. You can be scared, but you can still sound strong because you believe in what you're saying.  You can


5 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah! great post! I loved how you took a seemingly meaningless line from the story and looked deeper into what the author was trying to say. I loved your inferences as to what it really meant. It is true, when you ignore what people think of you, or when they treat you badly, you are able to overcome it and end up growing stronger. I think that that also applies to your everyday lives; you tend to be more confident and and sure of yourself when you speak out instead of just living and not doing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Great job! I love the verse and you really elaborated well on it. I agree with your explanation of why she feels startling, strong, and confident and the rest of it (like what each bit means). I also agree with Emma, like when she says that you are more confident when you speak out. She did the right thing by speaking out, and discovered that she could be startling, strong, and confident. Amazing post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I really love how made a small verse that was confusing to you at first into a meaningful story that many people in the world could relate to. I think that the key words startling, strong and confident really should be a model for anyone who needs to confront people or situations that include standing up for others and themselves. Great and meaningful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I think that the verse was an extremely creative way to metaphorically relate to the story. I especially liked the teetering part and how both the situation and the woman was unbalanced and dangerously closed to tipping. It's funny because there are so many things that are on the verge of teetering over but just so happens to stay balanced. Anyway, terrific post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY! Great Post <3 I think that it's amazing how you took a 'meaningless verse and turned it into something that important to the book. I've never read this book but i think that nobody ever speaks out because the father seems to be so strong and confident, and as the main character hears herself speak she realizes that she is too.

    ReplyDelete